What is an Off the Grid experience?
Horse Creek Adventures strives to provide a true outdoor experience. Our ranch is located in the Loess Hills of Western Iowa. The Loess Hills are a land formation only found in one other place in the world- China. In prehistoric times, as the shallow seas in Nebraska dried up the prevailing easterly winds created dust clouds of soil and sand.
The Missouri River had already been formed by melting glaciers and as the dust clouds blew across the river, they slowed and created piles of dust that became the Loess Hills, which have no rocks in them.
Our Off the Grid Adventure is designed for guests to experience nature as it is while exploring 170 acres of the hills. During the day you can hike, fish, horseback ride (rent or bring your own horse) or relax and read a book. Your cabin’s view provides a private landscape of trees and rolling vistas. At night you can enjoy the stars while listening to the sounds of the Bluff and the Region’s active wildlife including foxes, bobcat, coyotes, and more.
Off the Grid Cabins
Rent one of our six cabins and get away from it all.
- Each cabin is on a 20 x 20 ft platform deck situated to give you the best view.
- The decks were all built with as little disruption to the landscape as possible.
- The cabins are spaced to allow for privacy from other cabins.
- Cabins are true log cabins made from Norwegian imported white oak.
- Each is a single room with space to accommodate your air mattress and sleeping bags.
- The deck creates an outdoor living space with a spindle table and chairs.
- Just off of the deck is a fire ring with a grill for cooking (wood is available).
- Each cabin is close to a port-a-potty.
- You provide your own food, water, light source, portable cook stove, air mattress and sleeping bag.
- There is no electricity.
Booking your cabin
- 1, 2 and 3 are in a wooded area
- 4, 5 and 6 are strategically located for sweeping vista views.
- A group over 6 can rent extra cabins in the same location.
- The site has a map showing the location of the cabins. You can access it by using the “Book Now” buttons on this page.
- Cabins 1, 3, and 4 accommodate up 2 quests.
- Cabins 2, 5 and 6 accommodates up to 4 guests.
- There is room on each deck for additional guests.
- Cost for any of the six cabins is $60 a night, no minimum stay
- Booking is done through HipCamp.com
- Horse Owners can ride their horse to the cabins and use one of the corrals located close to cabins number 2 & 3 or cabins 4 & 5.
What if we have a dog?
What about my vehicle and our luggage?
What are the cabins like?
Tell me about things to do?
How far away is Horse Creek Adventures?
The RV campsites all have up to 50 amps power. They can accommodate trucks and campers up to 80 feet in length. Water is available and if you are staying for an extended time, we can arrange to have your dark tank drained. The campground is seven acres and is located at the entrance of Horse Creek Adventures for easy access. Once here, you can roam the full 170 acres of Horse Creek Adventures. Rate is $30 a night with no minimum stay.
We welcome RV owners with horses. There are portable corrals, and round pens available. You can also enjoy the trails. An RV site and full use of the horse accommodations is $30 nightly plus $15 for each horse. We also accommodate horse owners traveling and needing a stop for one night.
Pitch your tent anywhere in the 170 acres. We also have organized campsites that you can use. All sites offer privacy.
Horse Creek is set up to get away from it all. But, we realize some guests want to be able to tour the surrounding area, away from the ranch. When you book your stay, we will be asking how you want to camp. Those who want to stay on the property, can pitch their tent anywhere on our land. For those who want to do some sightseeing, we will put you closer to the entrance but you can still enjoy all of the 170 acres.
Rate is $22 a night for a tent. We consider a tent to accommodate 4 guests, larger groups will be charged for extra tents.
Fishing: If interested, there is opportunity to camp by a premier fishing hole. The fishing pond is located at the back of the ranch. We will transport you and your gear back to the campsite by the pond with 24-hour access to fishing. We only allow one group per night. Rate is $35 dollars per tent with a 4 person maximum per tent. Contact us directly for this experience.